The clean involves moving a weight from the ground to a shoulder height standing position through a strong explosion of the hips and shrug.
Performing the Squat Clean
- Similar to the Snatch
- Feet under the hips with weight in the heels
- Barbell against the shins (same as deadlift)
- Grip is narrower than the snatch (same as deadlift), overhand and ‘hooked’ (thumbs wrap around the bar and fingers over the top of the thumbs)
- Hips higher than knees, lower than shoulders
- Neutral spine
- Deadlift the bar from mid-shin to the hang position (mid thigh) where shoulders are still over the bar NOT behind
- Then JUMP aggressively allowing the elbows to naturally bend, staying higher than the barbell and keeping the bar as close to the body as possible
- At a moment of weightlessness, pull yourself into a front squat, receiving the bar on the shoulders with a loose fingertip grip.
- In order to achieve this, as the bar travels up the body, open the hands enabling the bar to roll into finger tips and quickly swing elbows under the bar
- Once in the front squat, stand up to finish the movement while the bar is racked on the shoulders, keeping elbows up
- Reset the bar to the set up
Add this movement breakdown page to a fitness journal or training log